Monday, June 12, 2006

Securing Materials

We have been in Zambia for two weeks now. Much of that time we have spent on the road traveling the country to assess the needs of preparing the homes for those to soon come. Most of the balance of our time has been spent trying to secure materials for these projects. This has been a text book example of culture shock. I would like to share a little of my experience today in an effort for you to imagine life in another way.

The first home we are working on is in Isoka which is a small community of dirt roads, several homes, some shops, and a restuarant which serves about 20 items but only has 2 of them in stock. It is in the Northern Province about 900 k. from our home in Lusaka. Last week my supervisor, a local builder, and I secured a 15 ton truck to transport the blocks neccessary from Lusaka to Isoka.

We began this morning with our plan to get the truck loaded to hopefully head that way later today only to discover our truck and driver were in another part of the country. The builder and I took off to a downtown shopping-market area crowded with thousands of nationals to secure another truck. Gratefully we were successful and made a plan for him to head to the block-yard. Oh yes the block-yard is not really a block-yard but a brick buiding community. The laborers chip stones into crushed gravel with a pick, mix cement and pour their ingredients into a single block mold, there are blocks and bricks lining the streets of the entire community.

We parted our newly secured truck with plans to finish buying some neccessary materials in another section of town where much of the hardware is sold. Traffic is heavy and inching along, I notice there is a lot of smoke. At first we believe it is just the exhaust of the many taxi-vans, however it is not long until we realize it is our truck with smoke bellowing from the wheel well. We make it around the corner to the area we hope to shop, as we exit the truck about eight local men appear. Keep in mind I have been warned there is a tremendous amount of theft in this area and we are carrying several million Kwacha of mission money to make our purchases. The men proceed to secure water, throwing it in the wheel well thinking the brakes had siezed, after opening the bonnet we realized it is actaully the clutch plate.

The men began to ask what we were searching for and within a matter of minutes each was scurrying off to locate the various goods we were seeking. Three of them unrolled a seven foot wide roll of wire down the side walk about three hundred meters (of course no pedestrians could pass), the others were bringing barrels, plastic, block molds, and an assortment of other items. I stood there with American amazment across my face. The builder informed me these were vendors and we could get smaller quanities and negotiate our price.

In the mean time my supervisor joined us to check out the truck and acknowledged after twenty years here he had yet to experience this. Within a matter of about 20 minutes we had what we were seeking without ever walking away from the side of our vehicle.

My day continued with notice from the new truck driver that he would only be able to carry 1200 blocks, 1100 short of what we will need, because of weight restictions (the rest will be made on the job sight).

We then headed to the last job sight of the builder to secure his tools and crew, it is now about 3:00. His last job was building a school at a Baptist church for 150 orphans. As I climbed from the truck about 20 of them were standing there to meet me. They did not yet know English but I did manage to teach them Howdy Partner, a line we learned from an M in North Africa. Cyndi and I hope to return there soon for an opportunity to get to know them.

We managed to get the rest of the tools and supplies we needed loaded and on the way to Isoka about 4:30 to join a team of three volunteers already at work on the home.

Some of us might laugh, even shake our heads in wonderment. Why do they do it that way, can't they see there are more effecient ways? It is not my place to judge nor change their ways. Our journey is to meet them where they are, learn to love them as we should, and share the hope we know in Jesus Christ. So rather than scoff or laugh I ask you to join us in recognizing there is more than our way of doing things and pray with us that our new friends will know the one way of Jesus Christ.

Eph.3:18
And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love really is.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good laugh! I needed it today. :) I can't wait to see all the mighty things God is going to do through you. I am blessed to be taking this journey with you. I love you guys and miss you so much!! 1-4-3

June 13, 2006 7:51 PM  
Blogger CM said...

What is wrong with this picture? Sounds like a normal day to me! Love ya! Hope all is well! Would love to hear from you sometime in the near future.

June 13, 2006 7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! I am amazed at all you have done. We continue to pray for you both and the people you come in contact with. God Bless you! Kristy

June 13, 2006 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you continue to write about your daily journeys. I enjoyed reading about your long day. After reading about your day, it makes mine look like cake. I send love your way and pray for you both daily.

June 14, 2006 4:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all are off to a GREAT start. Our daily thoughts and prayers are with you, your families and your tasks.

Take care of yourselves and we look forward to your continued updates as we go on this journey with you. We love you!!!!

June 15, 2006 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home